Monday, August 29, 2005

There's something about reality TV

by Benji Raymond



I have a confession to make. I realize I am in the stone cold minority and will possibly receive hate mail via email bombs, but something has to be said. Here goes... *deep breath*... I've never quite understood all the excitement over reality TV. Yes, that's right... I am referring to the likes of you who are eager and devoted viewers… or voyeurs, should I say, of Big Brother, Survivor, Average Joe and the likes. Sure I can definitely understand the interest in human nature. But surely you can just go over to a friend’s house and have a beer with your mate and watch in dismay as his father parades around in his underwear. That way you score a beer, chat to your friend and enjoy what human nature has to offer, while telling your Dad, errr his Dad, to go and put some pants on.

Well, that being said, I couldn’t quite help myself watch ‘There's Something About Miriam’. It honestly was intended to be just a flick of the channel in order to escape the Energizer Bunny commercial, but it turned out to be much longer. I felt so sad for those poor fellas. After an hour had passed of watching this show… once a week… I realized that I had been another helpless victim of Reality Tv.

There's Something about Miriam

A Long December

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Reality Shows - well, Benji, we seem to be in the same boat when it comes to Reality Shows - I too don't find any pleasure or amusement in them. Survivor was interesting in the very beginning - now its just boring (same old, same old!)
Reality Shows are just another step past "soaps".
Keep up the writing - you have some fine ideas! Nice to see a young man not scared or embarrassed to voice his thoughts!